Our History

The following is extracted from “East Geelong Golf Club – History – 1923 – 1973”

Meeting called “for the purpose of forming a golf club”, Monday, July 16th, 1923. Present were Messrs. Hill (Chair), J. L. Gibson, Edgar, Murray, Bossence, Walker, Errey, Wilkin, Casey, Vigar, Dr. Wallace, Sgt. O’Donnell, Mrs. Gibson, Mrs. and Miss Redmond. A club was formed under the title “East Geelong Golf Club”, subscriptions were set at one guinea ($2.10) for men and half a guinea ($1.05) for women. Office bearers were elected and the meeting closed “with the understanding that the new links would be available for play on Saturday afternoon, July 21st.”

Club equipment consisted of a hand mower, a wheelbarrow and a few hand tools. Within 10 days of formal proposal membership closed at 180.

Official Opening set for August 18th, 1923. Relief available under two local rules

  • 1. If dung or stones on the fairway within one club’s length interfere with the ball, the ball may be dropped not nearer the hole to the satisfaction of the opponent.
  • 2. If a ball lodges in boxthorn, it may be dropped within two club lengths behind it without penalty. (No dropping to the side in those days, you still had to play over the obstacle)

Extract from Geelong Advertiser, August 20th, 1923
“… The club was fortunate in its selection of Saturday for the opening day, as the weather was ideal for the event and there was a large attendance of members and visitors, including parliamentarians, clergymen, medicos, school teachers and even the police. With such a representative gathering and a mixed foursomes match arranged, the celebration of the event evoked a considerable amount of interest. The president, Mr. J. F. Hill, donated the prizes of mashies and putting sticks for the winners… The official opening  was performed by Mr. W. Brownbill, M.L.A., assisted by Mr. E. Morley, M.L.A. They did not make a very favourable impression by their strokes, but what they lacked in golfing skills was counterbalanced by the humour they employed in performing their duties.”

Minister for Lands granted a 10 year lease from Oct 1st, 1923 conditional that the club had to arrange new sub-leases with the three former tenants, assuring continuation of their grazing rights.

First Annual General Meeting April 1924. First Life membership, Mr. James F. Hill. Endorsed first increase in subscriptions to £2 for men and £1-10 for women Clubhouse estimates £210-10-0. Playing preference given to men on Saturdays, and to ladies on Wednesdays.

1924 – Clubhouse built
Club affiliated with V.G.A. and adopted maroon and navy blue as its colours.

After 1926 the course was no longer used for grazing, though some cattle were run privately in a fenced off area known as the “bull paddock” in the rough corner near the present 5th tee.
Electric light installed 1933, and on September 11th 1933, the first committee meeting was held in the clubhouse.

1928 the ladies’ committee made a formal complaint about members “playing in shirt sleeves”, and some time later the greens committee was able to draw attention of the ladies to “damage caused to the greens by high-heeled shoes.” The special provision of Saturday play for business girls dates from this period.

Inter-club games first played against Torquay in 1925, and expanded to include Queenscliff, Bannockburn, Winchelsea and Geelong.

The club was first represented in the Vincent Cup played at Barwon Heads in 1931, and three years later won the Colin Campbell Cup at Bell Park. Vincent Cup sidelines,
East Geelong Golf Club won the inaugural event at Barwon Heads in 1931, then again in 1957 with the team of E. Earney, L. Kelly, H. Rainford, & K. Deans.

In 2000 & 2001 East Geelong Golf Club won with the same team consisting of,  Pat Lee, Laurie Dunne, Robert Ryan and John Rowe.

In April 1926, Harold Power after thirteen years as assistant professional at Geelong Golf Club, was appointed professional, a position he held for thirty years. His remuneration was sixpence commission out of each green fee (2/-) collected.

The eleventh annual meeting in 1934 changed the club colours to navy blue and gold, and adopted the club badge of crossed golf sticks and the letters E.G.G.C.

By the end of 1935 mowing equipment completely mechanized.
1936 saw the economic situation improving, and membership exceeded 200.

1936 saw a quote from Morcom & Son for course construction. A tender of £248 for the work was ultimately accepted.

War years – the grim reality of the times was bought close to the club when L. J. K. Olney, who had been a popular committee man for seven years prior to his enlistment, was killed in action on 29-5-1943. The Olney Cup is his memorial.

March 1947, Captain M. W. Kroger proposed purchase of land at Curlewis at a special meeting 131 members present voted unanimously in favour and the deal was put through at £3,130-1-0.

In June 1955 Miss Jean Donald and Mrs. Joan Fisher played an exhibition match on the course. In September 1957, Gary Player and Bruce Crampton did likewise (for a fee of £50) and two years later Norman Von Nida conducted a clinic.

On July 5th, 1956 the Lands Department offered a 21 year lease.

January 1961, a sub-committee formed to investigate clubhouse alterations in respect of an application for a liquor license.

April 28th, 1962 the new clubhouse was opened by His Worship the Mayor of Geelong, Cr. R. McAllister. (In the absence of contrary evidence, it can be assumed that the bar was opened also.) Philip Henry Ward began duty as steward, a position he filled for eight years.

March 1st, 1965 Mr. D. S. M. Horne appointed as manager.20th October 1969 a proposal to establish a completely new club was approved by a special meeting, and finally on 29th October, 1970 the Curlewis Golf Club was established.

The end of 1969 the Kroger brothers, M. W. and J. M. retired from official positions. Between them they had notched up seventy-five years of service to the club.

LIFE MEMBERS

G. B. Humble
Mrs E. J. Heyward
R. A. Webb Snr
M. W. Kroger
J. M. Kroger
Mrs J. O. Wallace
J. W. Stubbs
J. H. Donaldson
H. Rainford
J. F. Hill
A. Meiklejohn
J. Rabbas
H. A. Price
N. A. Nimon
A. Adamson
S. W. P. Booley
Mrs H. R. Sweetten
D. S. M. Horne
C. J. Nicholson
K. L. Lambourn
Mrs D. J. Long
C. H. Bennett
V. Nivarovich
L. Dunne
2011 Heather Dean
2011 Ian Jarvis
2012 John McCabe
2012 Robert Ryan
2014 Geoff Nash
2015 Kath Dellar
2015 Daryl Stacey
2017 Greg Bennett
2019 Bob Hadden

CLUB CAPTAINS

1924 – 1927 P. J. O’Donnell
1928 – 1929 S. N. Wood
1930 J. B. Scott
1931 – 1936 J. E. Heyward
1937 – 1938 J. M. Kroger
1939 – 1948 M. W. Kroger
1949 – 1956 R. A. Webb
1957 E. G. Mallett
1958 – 1969 J. H. Donaldson
1970 – 1971 A. Adamson
1972 H. A. Price
1973 – 1975 N. A. Nimon
1976 – 1978 J. Rabbas
1979 – 1980 J. D. Ford
1981 – 1983 G. Taylor
1984 – 1986 J. Lawson
1987 – 1989 I. C. Jarvis
1990 – 1992 R. J. Ryan
1993 – 1993 I. C. Jarvis
1994 – 1997 E. S. Anderson
1998 – 2000 P. G. Lee
2001 – 2010 G. C. Bennett
2011 – 2019 R. M. Hadden
2019 – Nic Phipps

CLUB PRESIDENT

1923                      J. Hill
1924 – 1930          G. B. Humble
1931                       A. J. Johnson
1932 – 1934          R. D. Reid
1935 – 1948          R. A. Webb
1949 – 1958          M. W. Kroger
1959 – 1969          J. W. Stubbs
1970 – 1972          N. A. Nimon
1973 – 1979          H. A. Price
1980 – 1981          D. S. M. Horne
1982 – 1986          J. D. Ford
1987 – 1989          W. L. Hadden
1990 – 1993          C. H. Bennett
1994 – 1997           K. Lambourn
1998                      E. S. Anderson
1999 – 2000         F. R. Sedgman
2001                      P. G. Lee
2002                     E. S. Anderson
2003 2007           J. Simpson
2007 – 2011           Ian Jarvis
2012 – 2013           Rob Ryan
2013 – 2016           Greg Bennett
2016- 2019            Stewart Madden
2019 –                    Michael Ryan

Scroll to Top